Marshmallows Not Included: Charging Chevy Volt May Have Caused Garage Fire in CT

Hybrids and electric cars seem to be what people are talking about these days around the automotive world. I’m still partial to the already established, simple effectiveness of just getting better gas mileage from internal combustion engines myself, especially the efficiency of the newest and cleanest diesel engines. I mean, look at the Mercedes-Benz E class diesel, customers tell me they get up to 38 – 40 mpg on the highway, and a Volkswagen Jetta diesel will get more than that… and those are full sized cars.

This is a news story from Connecticut, while it hasn’t been confirmed, chances are this couples brand new Chevy Volt caused the garage fire in the home they’ve lived in for almost 40 years. This Volt is apparently one of the first in the state, it was charging at the time of the blaze. Thankfully, nobody was hurt and the home avoided major damage thanks to the fire crews that arrived quickly after the 911 call early in the morning.

Story courtesy of Eye witness News 3 in Connecticut: Click this link to go to the ‘LIVE’ Eye Witness 3 news story

Hybrid Car May Have Sparked Garage Blaze

Fire Destroys A Barkhamsted Garage On Center Hill Road

POSTED: 5:49 am EDT April 14, 2011
BARKHAMSTED, Conn. — Fire officials suspect an electric hybrid car may have sparked an overnight blaze in a garage in Barkhamsted on Center Hill Road.
Homeowner Storm Connors and his wife, Dee, said they awoke to the sound of a smoke alarm around 4 a.m. The couple said they have lived in the home for nearly 40 years. They built it and raised their children there, so when the flames took over their attached garage Thursday morning, burning it down to its beams, the couple started to panic. They said they were worried they were going to lose their home and the memories inside.
“I walked outside and looked in the garage door and it was flaming,” Dee Connors said. “I grabbed a pocketbook so I’d have a cellphone and a driver’s license and a jacket and a pair of slacks. I had no shoes, my feet were freezing.”
Within minutes of the 911 call reporting the fire, nearly 50 firefighters from surrounding communities headed to the scene.
The Connors family said that response and the fact there was a firewall built between the home and the garage saved their home.
After the fire was extinguished, the couple invited Eyewitness News into the home to see how effective the firewall was. Even the coats in a closet near the fire were unscathed — not even blackened by smoke.
Now investigators with the state fire marshal’s office and the couple’s insurance company are looking into what exactly in the garage sparked the fire. Officials said they can’t rule out that the couple’s brand new Chevy Volt hybrid had something to do with the blaze.
The fire is under investigation.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *