Want to have a grin on your face as wide as this guy? This is your chance!
1965 Porsche 356 C
I’ve known this 1965 Porsche 356 C since it arrived in the Twin Cities back in 2014. It has been a participant on the Walleye 1000 Vintage Rally the past three years (a 500 – 600 mile romp over the paved back roads of Minnesota and Wisconsin along the Mississippi River). The owner is a good friend and hopeless Porschephile. Selling because he ‘just couldn’t say no’ to another 356 that became available to him.
This car is fully sorted and a great driver. I drove this car from the Twin Cities to Road America (Elkhart Lake, WI) in July 2017 for the vintage race weekend, approximately 700 miles round trip. Read the article I wrote about that weekend and this very, very fun car by following this link.
Drive this car anywhere!
Contact Dave Tobin at Collector Car Consultants, LLC
Office Ph: 612-567-02 three four
Mobile Ph: 651-216-12 six five
Exterior: Ruby Red (correct color) – NOTE: Ruby Red is a ‘dark red’ color. Some of the photos make the car look to be a ‘lighter red’ than it really is.. it is NOT a ‘guards red’ or ‘fire engine red’ it’s darker than that… it’s ‘Ruby Red’.
See 60+ photos of this car in a Flickr album here. (and scroll down for more info and photos)
Interior: Black leatherette w/ corduroy (was red leatherette from the factory)
Nardi steering wheel w/ AMCO walnut shift knob
Chrome steel wheels w/ crested hub caps
Original owner’s manual
Partial tool kit
Odometer shows 49,110 (has probably gone around more than once)
Porsche Certificate of Authenticity (below)
- Purchased by current owner in San Diego, CA in 2014. He drove it from San Diego, home to the Minneapolis, MN area.
- Maintained by the same San Diego area Porsche-trained mechanic from 1984 – 2014 (Wayne Baker at Personalized Autohaus – 1983 12 hrs. of Sebring Winner)
- Veteran of 3 Walleye 1000 Vintage Rally events (2015 – 2017)
- Participant at the 2015 ‘Gather on the Green’ Concours d’Elegance – held in conjunction with the Elkhart Lake Fall Vintage Festival (Invitational).
- Car has been regularly maintained by current owner since 2014 w/ fluids and valve adjustments
Exterior repainted in 2001 – included new windshield and various body seals. New interior also installed in 2001.
- Electric fuel pump, dual master brake cylinder
- 6V Optima Red Top battery with vintage-look battery cover
- LED third brake light
- Headlight and starter relays installed
- Correct Bosch 022 distributor with points and condenser
- Electric SC tachometer, Hella 128 fog lights
- Carburetors upgraded to Solex 40PII-4 with K&N air filters
- Tall 4th gear, drops RPM by 500 at highway speeds
- New parts in 2016 and 2017:
- steering coupler
- clutch spring plate
- throw-out bearing, bushings and bearing fork
- heater control cables
- oil filter
- generator bearing
- Re-built Bosch starter
Engine: Engine is not original to the car. According to the part numbers on the various pieces, it is an earlier engine with an SC engine block from early 1964 with big bore pistons. It was rebuilt in 2003, odometer read 19,490 at that time, approximately 30k miles on engine rebuild. All bearings, pistons, cylinder heads, flywheel seal replaced. (From the owner) “As far as I know, the engine block is not original to the car. The top end work (pistons, cylinders etc.) was done in 2003. The Solex carbs are a ‘nod’ to those correct for an ‘SC’ engine.